Good Morning! If this post seems random and a little scatter brained...it may be because someone parked a running car near the air intake on our ventilation system. The exhaust then filters through our system and into the studio and control room. I have a wicked headache.
Shootings
An Attorney General's report found officers were justified in shooting a Keokuk County man after he shot at Sheriff's Deputies. The State Patrol's tactical team shot the man several times. You don't get to approach authorities with a gun...you certainly don't get to shoot them. I know this man struggled with mental illness so the Governor's proposal to reform Mental Health Care is well timed. It seems to me this is another thing (like schools) we need to reform the way we fund. Mental health care should not be determined by how many neighbors you have or how much their home is worth.
Bachman
So Rep. Michelle Bachman say Republicans should have held out in order to de-fund Planned Parenthood? If I'm repeating myself I apologize but does anyone think abortion in this country will stop is you stopped giving planned Parenthood Federal funding? For those just joining this conversation, it is already illegal to use federal funds for abortion. Planned Parenthood already raises much of it's funding privately...So what would suffer here? The answer is programs that screen women for cervical cancer, breast cancer and...oh yeah...birth control for thousands of women who would now...wait for it...GET PREGNANT!!! You could argue that along with being the biggest provider of abortions, PPH is also the biggest abortion preventer. How many of these women would seek an abortion after getting pregnant because they had no family planning options? The argument of Federal dollars going to this health care program should happen. it should receive the same scrutiny as other social service programs...but this is an ideological fight that has no place in a conversation about the budget.
Globetrotter
We had a visit from one of the Globetrotters this morning. The team is in town Sunday to play their longtime opponent the Washington Generals. The Generals have a secret weapon. See Murphy's Law for an update. Wun The Shot Versher came in to talk about the game and one of the team's new initiatives. They're trying to push a 4 point shot...no kidding. Also Wun helped answer one of the most frequently made comments I get when I am out and about...Yes Jeriann is that short and Yes I am taller than I look apparently.
The Switch
So I made the switch to satellite TV last night. I couldn't justify nearly doubling of my bill per month...so I went through the inconvenience of switching. The result is good. I've got Golf Channel in HD. I don't begrudge my old carrier it's business choice, I just feel like there had to be another way, and I tried to explain that THREE times. I'll be interested to see if this has any real impact on our TV viewing.
And back to the Mailbag
Sen Harkin's office called yesterday after reading our blog. Thanks, first of all, for reading it...I hope you'll all be regulars! Second, they said they felt like they made the Senator available on a regular basis to talk to us. I made the point that in the context of satellite interviews for TV, Sen Grassley's office is more regular about the offer. They told me they'd be willing to do satellite interviews with us whenever we ask. So next time we interview Sen Grassley in the morning. We are making the request of Sen Harkin too. Note to ourselves: we also need to do a better job of informing our audience that we made the offer. Hope you all have a great day! PWD
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I have just subscribed to your facebook page and I'm reading the posts as I have time. You make some worthwhile comments but you really sabotage your credibility with your poor spelling. I'm not sure what would have happened had the shooter approached law enforcement officers with a gin. And I understand spell checking would not have alerted you to that. However, it should have alerted you to venthilation and coltrol. Somehow nothing beats good old fashioned proofreading. I am interested in your content, but as a professional journalist, I expect delivery at a higher level.
Big,
Thanks for reading and for putting up with a glitch. I fixed the errors you pointed out but as you can see, the blog did not publish as I formatted it. it makes me thing some of my changes weren't saved either. I'll try to fix again.
Thanks,
PWD
That's my third try big. We'll try to work the problem out.
I enjoy reading your take on daily news, I feel that I better understand some of the issues after you discuss them. Thank you for being down to earth, and letting us into your lives each day as you share personal items as well as professional! Very nice.
I dropped my cable carrier because they do not know how to honor those of us who stick with their company (loyal customers!). Frustrating. I get easily annoyed when there are all of these "new customer" deals and those that have been loyal get nothing. Someday they might get a clue. Word of mouth does a lot!
As long as I have WHO 13 I am good :)
Post a Comment