Thursday, April 21, 2011

Catching up, Non-Apology, Really?

I'm playing a little catch up with the blog. Sorry bout the last two days. In part it's a lack of things to talk about but I admit it's also that I get sucked in to doing this and an hour later...I'm still writing.

To combat that, I'm starting early...It's 6:20...here I go...



Branstad Income
I was disappointed to see some people's reaction to Governor Branstad's tax return release. The guy earned a lot of money last year...key word...he earned it and shouldn't be ashamed of it. The Democratic Party sent out a release trying to say the Governor is asking State workers to sacrifice while he's raking in money.
They mocked The Governor's statement that he left a pretty lucrative job in the private sector to run for Gov. Here's the simple truth, He did. It's not like being Governor means going to the poorhouse but he could have continued to make a lot more money than he is now...he chose to serve his state instead.
On the issue of income, The Governor made money from a personal retirement account, he sits on corporate Boards and he got a small amount of money from his state pension. Why is it that people feel the need to blame Branstad for his success? It's as if they think we all should make the same amount of money. The Governor worked for his income last year...he saved and benefited through a retirement account and he served the state through four terms. He is benefiting from that work.


-A short break to tell you why we were laughing as we came out to talk to Greg Edwards about the weekend. Anyone who knows Greg knows he's a funny guy. Not sure where this even came up but Greg started it...Brooke picked it up in the middle and Greg finished it. Between the two of them the phrase, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free." came up...then the camera came on! Funny...



Non-Apology Apology
Why is it intolerance when a Republican sends out a nasty email and it's simply an error in judgement when a Democrat does it? If you have strong opinions, be ready for someone to make light of your thoughts. College Republicans on the University of Iowa Campus are having a "coming out" week. They planned some events including an "animal rights BBQ" that offended a University professor...so she hit reply-all and dropped an f-bomb on all Republicans. Charming.
The worst part was the disingenuous apology the professor put out where she scolds the Republicans. You were wrong...leave it at that.
When did we all lose the ability to laugh at ourselves. There are serious issues we should debate and that conversation should be civil. You may not like the way the College Republicans are promoting their "Coming out" week but they have the right to do it. They have the right to satirize their opponents views. In fact, if I were a gay rights advocacy group I would try to turn this one around and challenge Republicans. They might say, How does it feel to be in the minority in Iowa City...to have everyone feel like you're out of touch? To have everyone feel like the way you live your life is wrong?
This exchange shows intolerance lives on both sides of the spectrum...


Birthers Strike Again
I read a story that said 48% percent of likely Caucus goesers don't believe The President was born in the United States.
Polls like this will be the fuel for Republicans to take away Iowa's status as the First in the nation Caucus. Democrats Caucused in record numbers for a candidate that went on to win their party's nomination. Republicans have moved toward Caucusing for candidates that end up being irrelevant six weeks into the nominating process.
Look at New Hampshire, they do a lot of talking about limited government, spending and fiscal conservatism. Social Issues can certainly help guide party's philosophy, but the fact that so many people polled buy into a story that's been disproved over and over and over...it's ammunition to send Iowa voters to the back burner.

Vilsack's in
Christy Vilsack looks like she's spoiling for a fight with Iowa's most conservative Congressman. He doesn't seem all that worried about and even made a joke of her potential candidacy. I'm not sure I would underestimate her. This is the race I am most looking forward to.

Giving up
We were at the Gym last night and just couldn't come up with anything for dinner. We gave up and agreed to go out to dinner. Famous Dave's always does a great job of dealing with our messy, and at times, loud kids. Plus, they have paper towels right at the table.
We used about a half roll after JT decided he wanted a drink from Mommy's glass. The glass tipped and Sally had ice water underwear for the rest of the meal. She handled it like a champ...
Swimming tonight instead of a workout...I'm glad. I got a new workout Tuesday and my legs are KILLING me!

Have a good one!
PWD

3 comments:

Farm Wife said...

Just wanted to say that you are my favorite! I totally agree with you on almost every point...nice to see some common sense. Love you!!!

Anthill_Goddess said...

Pat...

Just wanted to tell you to be ready for the pouring-in of emails that surely will follow this post. That said, as an independent voter in this great State, I appreciate your views on what has been going on lately. The two-party system (yes, we're still a two-party system right now) has problems and the pointing and name-calling is just one of them...from *both* sides.


I enjoy your blog every day...today I cheered it!

Unknown said...

Nice blog Pat, as usual. I am in awe if the percentage of people who STILL doubt President Obama was born in Hawaii is accurate. I just don't get it, given all the information given, his sister (who just wrote a book) being interviewed about their childhood, etc. It makes us look stupid, IMHO.

Hope your legs feel better, but doubt they will. With all this rain you can't golf, so if you want to keep the weight down and stay in shape, ya have to do something, right? Running after the kids and mowing the lawn off and on when you are at home is not aerobic enough apparently. :)

Have a good weekend!

- DRT