Wednesday, April 27, 2011

5 year-old Murder,Romney Problem and Royal Wedding

Five year-old Murder
People used to say that when you have children, stories like this effect you more. They were right...they do. I actually get angry. I'm angry at the person who couldn't control themselves enough that that hurt a defenseless child.
I understand better now as a parent. There are times you'd like to forcefully deposit your kid in his crib. There are times they make you mad. As I encounter more of these situations I find my reaction is based on selfishness. They aren't doing what I want them to do...and I get angry...
The difference is that I am an adult and have to find the self control to help teach my children how to behave. I caught myself yelling at a particularly bad driver on the way home from the gym the other day. I yelled and laid on the horn. it scared the bejezus out of JT. It put into focus how our kids model our behavior...how they take cues from us...yelling from me will produce yelling from my kids. There are times and places for all kinds of discipline, but I find I am learning the more steady and firm I am with my kids...the more I praise their positive behavior, they respond in a positive way.
What does this have to do with the murder of a little girl? The adult in stat situation has to learn his/her behavior, maturity and self-control at an early age. I hope I am giving my kids the tools to be good parents now.

Finally
The President released the long form of his birth Certificate. I hope this puts the debate over his citizenship to rest. The minute I hear someone say..."Well this is just a piece of paper...it could be fabricated." That's the minute I call that person a racist. None of us can produce any evidence better than this. I have a birth certificate...I guess it could be fabricated...maybe it is...how do i know. That's the way the Birthers will keep this going...but I can't imagine how anyone with any sense of reason could think this is true....
I think people will start to see this for what it is and always has been... an effort to use the President's Heritage to scare people.

Romney's Problems
So I saw an article from The Hill this morning detailing the real problem with the Republican Primaries this year. Polls indicate in a general election Mitt Romney has an honest to God chance of beating president Obama. No one else is even close. Polls also indicate Romney's got problems in early states like Iowa.
Why? Apparently he's the Devil.
Seriously if you didn't know any better you'd swear some of the people who claim they want a change in the White House actually just want to keep their job criticizing the White House and raising money for their own salaries.
If Romney is the Candidate who's most likely to give President a run for his money; isn't he the candidate you want to see on the ballot?

Royal Wedding
So we put out our plans for coverage of the Royal Wedding. NBC starts its coverage early...3AM We're going to be on the air from 5-7 as normal. The continuous coverage of the wedding moves over to Channel 13.2. Brooke commented and I agree. i am surprised at the number of comments we got on Facebook when we asked about Royal wedding coverage. People either want to see the whole thing and are going to get up early to see it, or they want us to ignore it totally. i hope we are offering something of a middle ground. I suspect even the people totally annoyed by the pre-coverage will want to see a little of the coverage.

I hope you have a good day!
PWD

2 comments:

Anthill_Goddess said...

My problem with the "conservative movement" is that it's become all about the social issues instead of focusing on the economy first. I want to pull my hair out and shout that NOTHING is going to get accomplished if you put social issues first while the country is on economic self-destruct.

I've said before and I'll say again...There are more things to complain about with this president than his birth certificate.

As the parent of an *extremely* active 3.5 year old boy, I am challenged daily at keeping myself in control so I can parent effectively. Have I messed-up sometimes? Sure, I don't know any parent who hasn't made mistakes. Have I ever had the urge to lash out? Yup, just yesterday, honestly. Have I *ever* touched my son in anger? No. Sometimes the only control I have is walking away, I'm so angry...so I walk away.
You're right that most of the time my anger comes from my own selfishness. From wanting him to do what I want him to do, and to do it right now. Thank you for that insight.

Farm Wife said...

It's funny you talk about selfishness with getting angry with your little ones- yesterday I was bringing in the car seat and all my bags from the car and the wind was blowing hard. I had a very stressful day at work and the weather was enough to send me over the edge. She woke up from the wind blowing in her face and was crying at me anxiously to get her out of her car seat. I wanted to tell her to stop crying and get over it- why? She's a baby! She doesn't just "get over" things. I apologized to her- she may not understand what I'm saying but I think she can read my emotions.

I have found myself completely incapable of listening to or reading anything that involves any sort of malevolent act to a child. It makes me sick to my stomach.