Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Early Setbacks, Confidence and Line-Up

Good afternoon,
I'm just getting to this because of a busy morning that got off to a terrible start.
I rushed a little getting ready so I could go pickup a couple things at Wal-mart. For those of you who have never seen a Wal-Mart overnight...it's really something. They're cleaning a large portion of the store, The grocery aisles are being re-stocked and are cluttered with pallets and boxes. The only people you see are employees or the odd early morning or late night worker picking up something before they head off or go home to sleep.

I got to the store and parked in front of the Grocery entrance on the north side of the building. When I got to the door it wouldn't open. They were cleaning the floors on that side of the store...so I had to run all the way down to the south end of the building...then run all the way around the cones and caution tape into the grocery section. When I got there...I found they didn't have any of the one thing I was there to pick up!
So I decided I was late anyway. I went over the the Hy-Vee and tried there. No luck.
Frustrated and late...I got to work.

-Consumer confidence went up again this morning. it's still a long way from indicating a healthy economy but any little bit helps. Ford's earnings news was also welcome this morning. What a turn-around. i was thinking the back story behind the company's decision not to take Federal Bailout money and it's resurgence as a brand would be a great story.

-Speaking of brands, I heard a great interview on NPR yesterday. It was with a guy who runs an online wine shop. He wrote a book called The Thank You Economy. I want to read it. His theory as I heard it,, is that social media has made it imperative for any business to put a laser focus on customers, He put a different twist on it though. He says he focuses on the customers he HAS. He treats them like Kings...then he waits for those customers to put the word out to their Facebook friends, their Twitter followers etc. He says that's the new way for a company to grow it's consumer base. Interesting idea...even for TV.

Line-up
We talked to Jeff Chelsvig, the President and CEO of the Civic Center of Greater Des Moines, ion our Noon news today. they announced the Broadway line-up for the 2011/2012 season yesterday. Jeff said and I would agree, this is the best Broadway Series they've had since I lived here. La Cage a Folles, Memphis, Wicked, Billy Elliot and Rain. Not bad. I still have to see Wicked.

Visit
Our old Today in Iowa Producer Kristy came by with her sons this morning. they were both really intrigued by the set. the younger, Austin decided to slip up on to the set while Brooke was doing her Cut-ins for the Today show. Any other Mom would have freaked out, but Kristy, being the old TV producer knew that as long as Austin stayed quiet...it was OK. I'm sure none of you watching were any the wiser.

1 comment:

Kristy @ Fried Kristy said...

Aw, thanks for including my boys in the post, Pat! They absolutely LOVED visiting - you all have your own little fan club in our house ;)