Monday, March 05, 2012

Monday Thoughts

Afternoon blogging and I'm glad I waited.

-Slippery roads were a good reminder this morning that it is still winter. Also a reminder for me a couple times this weekend that it's State Tournament time. I sympathize with people who are here for the week and may have never driven in Des Moines before. That said...it's not as if Des Moines is Washington D.C. or even Chicago. Even if you miss your turn or get turned around...no need to swerve across three lanes of traffic to make the on-ramp. I felt badly for the woman with Guthrie Co license plates who turned down 19th this morning. We almost hit head-on as I was trying to get into the Station Parking lot. She turned into the lot's entrance hoping I would drive past...she must have been embarrassed to see I was actually pulling into the employee lot.
The point is, take your time. It would be a shame to ruin a fun trip to Des Moines with an accident...

-Prairie Meadows is expanding. No, I'm not a year behind...The facility wants to expand again. It's got the space, the question is how? If they're going to rebuild the Poker Room I am all for it. The early report says they want more slots.

-Gov Branstad's approval rating is above 50 percent. the first time the Chief Executive's approval has been a majority since the first month of the Culver administration. A note on that. I don't have any hard and fast numbers or facts to back it up, just anecdotal evidence from people I know who work with or around State Agencies. The place was A MESS when Gov Culver left office. The Branstad administration spent the better part of a year undoing a lot of the things Gov Culver did.
That's not a partisan statement...it just is. Economic Development, rules and regulations, the budget, The Civil Rights Commission...we've heard a lot of stories about neglect. A lot of people who got on blogs like this to dismiss Gov Branstad as "Braindead" should be eating a bit of crow. Whether you are a Republican or Democrat, an efficiently run Government that is attracting investment in the state is a good thing.

-Tiger Woods put on a show Sunday and Golf fans are happy (So is NBC). It's already been a good golf season and there's a month to go before The Masters.

-Countdown to Vegas is on. I go with a friend every year for the first weekend of March Madness I found this website this morning that builds a countdown clock. I like it. Incidentally it's this kind of anticipation that means my Wife is HAPPY to see me go...just so I'll stop talking about it.



Hope you have a great Monday!
PWD

No comments: